Saturday, January 12, 2008

Joanna Newsom Brave & Brilliant

my wife and i and some friends saw joanna newsom open up for will oldham several years back at an art gallery in chicago. being "blown away" would be the understatement of the century. after continuing to follow her since then, there has always been one song of hers that has never stopped hitting me in the gut. "Sadie." joanna has written a song about the death of her dog. it's beautiful; it's poetic; it evokes inward visuals. and most amazingly, being that it's a song about the love for a deceased pet... it's not cheesy/corny. imagine getting up in front of a crowd, all by yourself, with a harp, and singing your soul out about your dog. brave and brilliant.




...And all that I've got
And all that I need
I tie in a knot
And I lay at your feet
And I have not forgot
But a silence crept over me
So dig up your bone
Exhume your pinecone, Sadie.




.

No comments: