Thursday, July 5, 2007

Mistachuck

I just noticed there's a longer version of Public Enemy's music video for "Fight The Power" than the one I grew up with on MTV. Go youtube, go.

I met Chuck D about 5 years ago at a central Illinois stop on one of his speaking tours, and the man made me laugh. I was 14 years old when I first saw this video, and it made a pretty big impression on me. Needless to say, I was nervous when standing in line waiting to meet the guy, since I had looked up to him for so long. I was purposely last in line so I had a little bit longer to talk to him than the other folks. I didn't have anything for him to sign; I simply wanted to say hello and chat for a while. I told him that I had read he went to school for graphic design for a while, and that I was in the field myself. His eyes kind of opened up a bit, and he told me a funny story about how amazing his son is with Photoshop, and how he feels out of the loop with all the advances nowadays. A genuine guy - someone you felt like you could go grab some coffee with, but you better look tough while rolling with him.

The uncut, longer, non MTV version:

No comments: